She writes for a variety of online publications and across a wide range of topics and niches. There are four different types of allergic reactions that your dog might experience after an insect bite. Male gnats do not bite. Benadryl is a great medication for dogs with mild allergies, but it should never be self-prescribed.
Check for any of the symptoms below to determine whether your dog is having trouble breathing.

However, most gnat types are non-biting except for some.

Add a few drops to water in a spray bottle and spritz door posts or other areas your dog does not come in direct contact with.

What they look like: a flat, red splotch.

Tick Bites.

Mold and fungi also attract gnats, so scour the yard for any mold or fungal growth, especially around the fascia boards, siding and any other outdoor wood on or around your house, shed or other outbuildings. Check the AKC’s guide to learn about your state’s official flea and tick season.

Some gnats, like midges, sand flies, and black flies, bite and draw blood to feed on.

When you're outside, light a candle; the fire will become another source of carbon dioxide to distract gnats from your dog. Moreover, they also inject an anti-clotting agent to reduce healing which provides them more time to feed.

Keep air moving with fans to prevent the little pests from congregating.

Otherwise, it can be pretty difficult to distinguish the mark of a tick from a mosquito: a small red bump.

Once a gnat bites you, the small spot turns red with swelling. Swelling and itchiness may be more severe. Anaphylaxis is a systemic reaction that erupts all over the body and in multiple organs.

Even though traditional blood tests have been replaced by two much more effective methods (the Snap 4Dx and QC6), many dogs that test positive aren’t clinically ill and don’t need treatment.

Distinguishing gnat bites is the first step to treating them. How to Make Homemade Squirrel Poison: A step by Step Guide, 6 Best Gnat Killers that Proved to be working. Do not apply essential oils to your pet directly, as they are toxic to dogs and cats. Grasp the tick as close to your dog’s skin as possible and gently pull up until the tick releases. They use shallow bodies of water as breeding grounds and sources of food. Note: you may observe more intense redness and swelling if your dog has a flea allergy. On porches and decks, place a mason jar filled with wine or apple cider vinegar and a little dish soap. Hives are incredibly annoying and itchy, but there’s no threat to life. The catch is that the rash only shows up for around 80% of infectees, leaving the other 20% with no visible signs of infection.
Indoors, you might find some emerging from potted plants in your home during the warmer months of the year. Besides, if you have any questions, do leave them below for us to answer. Check the AKC’s guide to see your state’s official flea and tick season. Black flies and Horseflies are the most aggressive types of flies and can even draw blood. How to get rid of gnats Outside and STOP from Coming back! If you have a garden or compost pile, added beneficial nematodes like Steinernema carpocapsae or Steinernema feltiae to the soil for long-term control of gnat larvae. Scratching to relieve the itch might lead to infections and thus, complicate the issue. Your email address will not be published.

Insects like bees and hornets are quick to retaliate, so most stings occur on the face, head, or paws after you dog accidentally disturbs a nest of a hive. If you’ve been a dog owner for any amount of time, you know how miserable that can make your pup.

If fire ants are the culprit, bites will often turn into pus-filled blisters that look a lot like pimples.

Biting gnats, mainly the females, depend on a blood diet to get the required protein for laying eggs. There’s one other scenario to watch out for: Like humans, some dogs are allergic to mosquito bites. Sand flies, buffalo gnats and others which comprise the biting types can be disease carriers and transmit pathogens. Gnats lack the subtlety of mosquitoes who rely on piercing through the skin for feeding. If you witness gnats flying around your dog, it's time to figure out what's causing them to swarm and stop them. Feeding on blood provides the females with sufficient nutrition and energy to lay eggs for proper breeding. Even a small amount of essential oil on your dog's skin can make her very sick, according to VCA Hospitals. Symptoms can reach a life-threatening stage in as little as 20 minutes.

Always consult with your vet before trying an allergy medication out on your dog. What to check for: small red bumps with a rounded raised center. It’s also a somewhat controversial topic in the world of veterinary medicine because the diagnosis can be tricky.